Every now and then, cottages get a little musty, especially after they’ve been closed for lengthy periods over the winter season when leaks aren’t always remedied immediately away. But there’s a distinction to be made between a little stale air and a major issue: mold.
Mold can be found everywhere. It’s a normal part of existence, both on the inside and outside. Mold grows inside; it can pose a serious health risk, triggering allergic reactions and even severe respiratory problems.
When purchasing a cottage on Lake of Bays with real estate professionals, they can often help you determine whether or not a home has had any issues with mold in the past and help you negotiate an inspection before you move in.
You can avoid any issues with mold by taking a few precautionary measures.
Understand what you’re looking for
Mold grows in damp or leaky areas, such as underneath carpets, near windows, or wet drywall. Mold can grow on furniture if it is allowed to get damp and not thoroughly dried. Mold on the walls can also produce cracked, flaking paint or bulging wallpaper. Mold that is developing in your cottage looks similar to mold that is growing on your old bread or expired yogurt: search for brown, black, or greenish “blooms” on walls, floors, around windows, or in any wet spots. If there are no noticeable flowers, sniff the air. Does it smell musty and earthy even after you air it out? Mold could be the culprit.
Regulate your humidity
Mold grows quickly—it can take hold in 48 hours—but it cannot grow unless the environment is damp, so maintain the humidity in your cottage. While having a shower or using running water, use a dehumidifier, turn on an exhaust fan, open a window, and repair any leaks immediately. Check that kerosene and other heaters are properly vented outside. If possible, dry your bathing suits and towels outside. If you’re constructing a cottage, make sure the land slopes away from the foundation so that water doesn’t collect. Finally, clean and fix your gutters on a regular basis.
Get rid of the mold spots.
Because dead mold can still produce symptoms, it’s critical to eliminate all signs of stains. Because bleach is hazardous to both humans and dogs, use a non-bleach cleaner to destroy mold spores, remove stains, and prevent new infestations.
A bleach and water mix can also be used to kill mould. Apply the solution without rinsing, and then combine one cup of bleach and one gallon of water. Combine equal quantities ammonia and water to get a solution. Rinse the area after applying the spray and waiting two to three hours.
Employ the proper equipment.
Wide varieties of mold may not cause major health concerns if you are not sensitive, but it is best to be cautious than sorry. When working with mold, always wear gloves, goggles, long sleeves, and a painter’s mask or respirator.
What cannot be saved should be discarded.
Moldy porous materials, such as carpets, upholstery, insulation, ceiling tiles, beds, or drywall, will almost certainly need to be discarded. Metal, concrete, countertops, appliances, and decking are non-porous and may be cleaned using an eco-friendly product like the ones indicated above.
Know when to call in the professionals.
If you have a huge infestation (more than 10 square feet), you should get a professional to analyze the situation and clean up. Make certain that the organization you’re working with will repair the mold rather than simply enclosing or encapsulating it. They should also provide contact information for a third party to conduct clearance testing to ensure the problem has been resolved. You should also receive a written guarantee. Your insurance provider may be able to refer you to a trustworthy clean-up company.
Leave a Reply