There are many different ways to wash your face, from gels and foams to scrubs and oils, but there are many reasons why you might choose to use a balm cleanser instead of any other type of cleanser. If your skin feels dry or dull, if you wear makeup every day, or you just like to use luxurious products and methods in your daily skin care, then cleansing balm might be best for you. In this article, we’ll be briefly discussing what you need to know about cleansing balms, their benefits, and quick facial tips.
Cleansing balms use oils and active ingredients to break down makeup, dirt, sunscreen, sweat, excess oil, and other impurities that are present on your skin. They are great for dry skin types because they are very nourishing, but they are also very effective for oily skin types because the oil attracts oil from your skin, therefore helps remove excess oil.
Cleansing balms are usually solid or buttery. Once applied on the skin, they will melt into oil, and if water is added, they will emulsify into a milky liquid which will be easier to remove together with the impurities on your skin.
Benefits of cleansing balms
Cleansing balms are perfect for removing heavy makeup(even waterproof formula) or breaking down thick waterproof sunscreen.
Because cleansing balms are rich in oils, this type of cleanser is incredibly nourishing and moisturizing, leaving the skin feeling soft, smooth, and moisturized.
Good for skin
Unlike surfactant-based cleansers(foam cleansers), cleansing balms do not irritate, will not dry out your skin, it does not destroy your skin’s moisture barrier, or destroy its pH.
No mess involved
Unlike cleansing oils that are thin and runny(which may eventually run down your arms and maybe even all over your bathroom sink and floor), cleansing balms are less messy, so no product is wasted, and you won’t have to clean scattered puddles of liquid on your bathroom floor.
How to use a cleansing balm
- Using clean and dry hands, scoop out a small amount of cleansing balm and warm it between your fingers.
- Once the balm begins to melt, apply to your dry face, and gently massage your entire face with circular motions.
- Massage for about 30 seconds to 2 minutes. If you have eye makeup, gently massage the eye area until the makeup starts to break down.
- Wet a clean, soft cloth with warm water, and squeeze out the excess water. You can cover it on your face and wait for the steam to open your pores, take a deep breath and let the steam and cleansing balm relax you.
- Use the clean and soft cloth to gently wipe the cleansing balm. If you are wearing makeup, you may need to re-soak and repeat this step.
- If you have been wearing some sunscreen or heavier makeup, or if your skin is prone to oil and acne, it is better to clean it twice, and you can use a cleanser with a water base after using a cleansing balm.